Sunday, December 12, 2010

Live to eat not eat to live

I woke up in the morning craving Chinese food. Actually more specifically I was craving chilli chicken with fried prawns on the side and chicken hakka noodles. With soya sauce and that delightful red chilli sauce which brings tears to my eyes for reasons of spice and joy to my heart for reasons of life. Shakespeare once said, "If music be the food of love, play on!" Well I say if "Food be the music of my gut, then cook on". I enjoy the epic concerts like those wonderfully elaborate meals with starters and a main course and that delightfully indulgent dessert. Chocolate Mousse or Blueberry Cheesecake? Ohh La La, to mousse or not to mousse, that is the question. But I also enjoy the nice little extempore performances like a quick chicken roll off the street or a few puchkas off the corner (panipuris to Mumbaikars and golgappas to Dilli people). I like the classical compositions like the legendary Hyderabadi Biryani but I also love the contemporary fusion like the chicken tikka pizza. I love a good beef steak but I also cannot help but admire the culinary genius that is the cheese chutney sandwich.

I have never been a slim person but thankfully I have always had a healthy body image. Ofcourse the feminists will scream, "Because you're a man and society does not pressure you". Maybe they're right. But that's another conversation. I also have a metabolism that is conducive to lend my shape a somewhat spherical form. But the way I see it is I have one life to live and all this amazing food to taste. Not eat, taste. There are few joys as satisfying as when you hit that sweet spot with the perfect taste. Well there is another experience that is in the same zone but that requires contraceptives. So go ahead, munch those samosas, lick that ice cream and ravage that tandoori chicken. After all, if we don't enjoy such a pure and simple indulgence as food, well there is no hope left for us then is there?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blueberry Cheesecake. Yummm! So much to taste, so little time. :) Life's too short to worry about weight and shape, I concur.

a-list said...

@bustlingwoods: Indeed. After this post I ate aloo mutter and roti. Normally that would be fine but after writing a post like this, di hai ki maanta nahi!

IdeaSmith said...

Joy where you find it, then.

a-list said...

@Idea: Joy where you find it indeed.

IdeaSmith said...

You linked to me. I linked to you. :-D

*violins playing*